The Association is able to send out email “blasts” to all of the members of a Section, or to particular subgroups (i.e., those with particular ZIP codes or in a particular state). These messages are visually appealing and professional-looking, with the MAA logo as a header and whomever you designate listed as the sender.
To make this process efficient and effective, the Association follows the following policies and procedures:
Email Submission Policy
- Sections may not create or maintain their own private email lists for the general Section membership, using any information available under the Member Lookup feature on the web site. Any message of general interest to the Section – meeting announcements, requests for nominations for awards, distribution of the newsletter – must be sent through the MAA office, so that all current members are included.
- In some cases Sections may create and use their own subgroup-lists for specific purposes, if the recipients hold appropriate positions in the Section and have opted in by giving their consent. (This statement can be as simple as an email message stating, “I agree to receive email messages from [name of group]. I may withdraw my permission at any time by contacting [Section officer].” The Section officer in charge of the group should keep these permissions as long as the group exists.) Some examples:
- Section officers
- Members of a committee
- Department liaisons or representatives (one per department)
- Department chairs
- Sections are encouraged to communicate with their members; we can guarantee processing and sending up to two emails per month to the general membership of the Section. Please try to collaborate with others to combine messages, and make sure that only one person is submitting a particular message.
- If special circumstances require a Section to send out more than two messages in one month, especially to an appropriate subset of their membership (all of the members who live in one state, for instance), we will try to accommodate that request if time allows.
- The MAA reserves the right to amend this policy at its discretion. In case of amendments, users will be informed appropriately.
Email Submission Procedure
- A designated Section officer (the chair, secretary, or communication officer) must submit each message to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the following information:
- Your name and email address
- Your position/office in the Section
- Who should be listed as the sender of the message/ the person to contact if members have questions. Be sure to incldue their name, position, and email address.
- Subject line for the message
- The text of the message, exactly as you would like to see it
- Requested deadline for sending the message
- A staff member in the MAA Programs office will format the message, add a banner and logo, enter it into the MAA email system, and send a draft to the sender for approval.
- Once it is approved, in most cases, the email will be sent out within two business days, but we cannot always guarantee that timeframe. (It is not possible when all of the staff is at MAA MathFest or the Joint Meetings, for instance.) Please let us know if your message is an emergency -- a Section meeting has been canceled, or all meeting attendees need a particular piece of information – and we will let you know if we can send the message out right away.
- Questions? Comments? Problems? Contact Margaret Maurer, MAA Programs Assistant at email@example.com or Betty Mayfield, Committee on Sections at firstname.lastname@example.org.
These policies and procedures will be reviewed on a regular basis – at least every five years – by the MAA Committee on Sections and the MAA Programs Office.